If you are looking to make little extra cash or have bigger plans in mind, babysitting is one of the easiest ways to achieve your goal. It today’s tutorial, I’ll discuss Babysitting Tips and How To Earn Money as a Babysitter?
Babysitting is a great way to help parents and start your career as an entrepreneur. It’s not just a fun job but a great way to start your career.
It is popular among teenagers, however, many university students can make their feet wet with this process.
Students usually want to work as a retailer for a part-time job and often overlook the benefits of working as a babysitter that can be an ideal job to overcome scary student loans.
How To Earn Money as a Babysitter?
Before we move forward and highlight the ways to make money by babysitting, let’s define it first.
What is Babysitting?
Babysitting is a process when you take care of children in the absence of their parents. This can be done either way i.e. you can go to kids’ house or you can invite them over to your place.
Getting Started As A Beginner
Most parents prefer to choose someone they already know or has been recommended to them. Experienced always stay ahead from the beginners. With that being said, every expert starts as a beginner and grows with time.
Here are a few ways to help you get started:
- Create an online profile or blog about yourself. Describe how you love working with kids, mention if you have any experience or younger siblings and include references if possible. Also, attach your CV.
- Start with people you know as it’s a lot easier to get babysitting work with those who already trust you, so it’s always worthy first asking around with your family and friends.
- Make business cards with links to your online profile and hand them out at schools, playgroups, parks, etc.
- Also, getting a DBS check plays a vital role in finding a new job but it will take a while before getting a valuable reputation.
Becoming A Proficient Babysitter
You must be considering the following points before you intend to babysit someone:
- Be friendly with the kids. Engage them by asking questions, take interest and remember the things they tell you.
- Plan activities with the kids. Children are not interested in sitting in front of the TV all day and if they’re bored they don’t hesitate to tell their parents about it. Think of fun stuff you can do with them like board games, art and everything that keep them busy.
- Make them feel comfortable, so they enjoy your company.
- Clarify the house rules before you start. Kids are kids and they don’t like you to make them act according to your will. Instead of making them bend and instruct, adapt the home atmosphere quickly and make sure you know do’s and dont’s before you take full charge of the house.
- Report back to the parents. Keep the parents in touch with stuff about their kids so they feel they are not left out in the process. They love to get an insight into how you engage and deal with their child. Tell them the small details or funny things that happen in their absence to show that you pay attention and care genuinely.
- When you are left alone with the kids you are also responsible for everything happening inside the house. Keep the house nice and clean.
- Don’t underestimate how important it is for parents to come over a clean, calm and tidy house after a tough day out. This is a great way to earn their respect.
Benefits of a Babysitting Job
Let us first have a look at the perks of being a babysitter:
ONE. The job is usually well-paid and can be flexible around your university schedule.
TWO. Being a babysitter encourages you to be more punctual and organized. You can’t be picking up kids late from school if you want to keep the job intact.
THREE. You will have a great experience with your CV as this shows you’re a responsible and reliable worker.
FOUR. It will also allow you to make good contacts with their parents who can vouch for your character and be a worthy reference when you start your professional job hunting.
FIVE. It can be an excellent opportunity to gain experience if you’re planning to work with children in the future.
If you are spending your quality time, you must know the rules to make your time count and get maximum benefit out of it.
Here is how you can do this:
A. Work Full Weekends
Offer to work full weekends. If mum and dad want to go away overnight and trust you to stay with the kids, grab the opportunity.
Staying overnight for the whole weekend is an excellent way to make big bucks and gain the parents’ trust. You will not be able to charge an hourly rate in this case, so it is advised to agree on a fixed sum and make things straight.
B. Be Flexible
The key to earning more cash is to make yourself available at the times that are particularly tough for the parents. If they know they can call you out of the blue and ask you to look after the little one who gets ill, they won’t hesitate to pay your extra for that.
C. Work on Holidays
Work on breaks and bank holidays. Making yourself available over holidays will be a life-saver for the parents. And you can charge more for the holidays.
D. Travel Expense
Ask for travel expenses. Be sure to ask them for the taxi fare especially when you are working late in the evenings. Taxis can be quite pricey, and parents should respect the fact that this is an additional cost involved when working evenings. If they don’t agree to pay the fare you can ask for a little higher hourly rate for evening shifts.
E. Educate Kids
One of the perks of being a student babysitter is that your education makes you eligible for tutoring too. Offer them a couple of additional hours for tutoring each week and charge extra for it.
F. Never Leave them in Parties
Offer to work on events and parties. Let the family know that you can also look after kids for events or parties. If they are planning to have a gathering or party at home, you can offer to keep all the children entertained and earn some extra bucks.
You can even offer to accompany them to parties or weddings, which is also a great way to impress the other families with your skills.
As an added note: Keep one thing in mind, never give them a clue you are doing it for money only. Give them respect and show that you value relationships more than getting financial gains.
That’s all for today. I hope you have got a clear idea about babysitting and how it can be a great way to make money. Thanks for reading the article.